Action Contre la Faim (Action Against Hunger) has been conducting humanitarian programs in Somalia Since May 1992. Currently, AAH is conducting its humanitarian activities in Somalia focused on treating and preventing malnutrition, increasing access to clean water and appropriate sanitation, strengthening the food-security and the livelihoods and thus boosting the resilience of communities in Somalia as well as emergency response via program bases in Somalia.
The positions and responsibilities
AAH Somalia is looking for suitable candidate to fill Food Security & Livelihood (FSL) Deputy Head of Department, based in Somalia- Hudur. The role reports hierarchically to the field coordinator in Hudur & technically to the Food Security & Livelihood (FSL) Head of Department, the FSL Deputy Head of Department’s core responsibilities will include but not limited to the following:
This is a technical specialist position expected to support technical implementation of AAH’s programing including cash programming in Somalia. AAH programing in Somalia consists on providing unconditional and conditional cash transfers for drought affected population and livelihoods support to the most vulnerable households.
Objective 1: Support the FSL field team on setting up, implementing and reporting on FSL projects (including cash transfer activities)
- In close collaboration with the FSL field staffs, supporting the setting up of the FSL programs taking into account the logical framework of the programs, the budget, and logistical and administrative processes of AAH (including safety and security)
- Supporting the FSL field staffs defining the implementation methodology of FSL activities, and define realistic work plans
- Ensuring the quality of the programs is established in conformity with the technical and project management standards of AAH in the location
- Ensuring FSL field staffs are familiarizing with their projects, the issues involved, the logical framework and indicators ; retaining printed copies of all funding agency contractual documents
- Supporting the FSL field staffs on identifying the technical risk and constraints associated with the implementation of the projects
- Proposing innovative technical solutions in response to such constraints
- Supporting the implementation of technical recommendations concerning the project
- Supervising the implementation of the FSL programs upon the activities planning, and adjust or refine it with the FSL field staffs if necessary
- Supporting the FSL field staffs on activity reporting: write internal Activity Progress Reports, maintenance of a timeline, monthly review of the budget
- Preparing in time to meet deadlines the FSL components of external and internal reports relating to the FSL projects with FSL field staffs
- Identifying and support the implementing of safety & security measures for both the teams and the wider population (building sites, community based sites) in closed coordination with the field coordinator
- Raising any issue related to the program implementation to the FSL HoD and communicating regularly to the FSL HoD on the activity planning and achievement.
Objective 2: In close collaboration with the FSL HoD, identify needs and contribute to project elaboration
- Identifying humanitarian needs in the field of FSL and Cash programing, this to include the submission of reports pertaining to such matters.
- Participation in defining FSL and cash transfer programs
- Contributing to the writing of the FSL and Cash transfer sections of project proposals (Bill of quantities, budget).
Objective 3: In collaboration with field staffs and FSL HoD, contribute to the quality, accountability and impact measurement process of AAH FSL programing
- Promoting and taking part in the evaluation of the impact of his/her project (external assessment)
- Promoting and contributing to learning and improvement of quality (internal evaluation and joint visits)
- Implementing complaints procedures for ethical and transparency reasons, particularly in respect of the beneficiary populations
- Follow up price monitoring and supporting data analyzing on a monthly bases.
Objective 4: In the absence of the FSL HoD, Participate in the coordination, representation and partnerships of AAH in FSL and Cash area of intervention
- Coordination of activities with other sectors and departments of AAH in order to ensure rational use of resources and optimum integration at national level
- Participation in visits by funding bodies whenever requested by the FSL HoD
- Representing AAH and ensuring coordination with partners, the authorities, agencies of the United Nations and NGOs in FSL sector, at national level
- Contributing to the process of selecting partners, formalizing partnerships and enhancing their capabilities (Local NGOs, international NGOs, national authorities, private agencies etc.)
- Reinforcing the capabilities of partners.
Objective 5: Mentor FSL field staffs on quality, accountability and impact measurement process of the program and development of FSL field staffs’ skills in strategy and positioning of the FSL department
- Supporting the FSL field staffs in controlling the quality of the programs established in conformity with the technical and project management standards of AAH;
- Mentoring the FSL field staffs in identifying the technical constraints associated with the implementation of the projects;
- Mentoring the FSL field staffs in proposing innovative technical solutions in response to such constraints;
- Supporting the FSL field staffs in promoting and taking part in the evaluation of the impact of the project (external assessment);
- Supporting the FSL field staffs in promoting and contributing to learning and improvement of quality (internal evaluation and joint visits);
- Mentoring the FSL field staffs on the implementation and follow up of the monitoring tools and support the staffs on the data analyses and reporting.
- Reinforcement of the capacities of the FSL field staffs on the analysis of the humanitarian situation in respect of FSL and of the context of intervention in the field of activity;
- Mentoring of the FSL field staffs in taking part in the determination of strategy in the area of activity and sectorial strategy at national level;
- Reinforcement of the capacities of the FSL field staffs in participating, as and when necessary, in the development of the FSL section of the emergency response plan in the area of activity;
- Mentoring of the FSL field staffs in terms of transversal integration of the FSL sector with other sectors, in collaboration with the Field Coordinator and transversal problems associated with FSL initiatives (HIV, Gender issues, Disaster Management, Environment, Handicap, etc.);
Objective 6: Contributing to capitalization and technical development in FSL and Cash sector
- Capitalization of program-related data and documentation of the innovations achieved
- Dissemination of the technical and operational expertise acquired in the course of the program
- Contributing to the upward transmission of data from the ground the better to inform AAH communications
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Social Sciences, Agriculture or relevant field
- At least 3 years’ experience in humanitarian context and project management.
- Experience in Cash based intervention in emergency context
- Experience on community based approach activities in an intercultural context.
- Good organizational skills
- Effective organizational representation at different levels
- Easily integrate with remote areas living conditions.
- Disciplined and able to work and arrive at decisions autonomously and with minimal guidance;
- Fluent in English and local Somalia dialect;
- Excellent verbal and written skills;
- Ideally, experience with new technology system (SCOPE, ODK, etc.)
- Capacity to work on Remote area
- Strong capacity to work in tense conditions and high insecure and volatile context
- Reactivity, anticipation, adaptability, capacity to take initiatives.
- Ability to re-evaluate objectives and implementation of activities linked with quick changes in the security context, and thus in the access to the beneficiaries;
- Ability to work and cooperate closely with other sector coordinators;
- Initiative and problem solving skills:
- Adaptability and flexibility:
- Motivation and involvement:
- Professionalism and Management:
- Familiar with Somalia Context and Culture;
Applications, including CV with cover letter and 3 professional references to be sent via email to:
not later than 26th January 2019 clearly mentioning the position on the subject line. VA 001/2019: FSL DHOD-Hudur.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.